Compared to consumer electronics, complex industrial/medical machines last a long time. A life cycle of over 15 years is not unusual. Because technology keeps improving, it is often worthwhile to redesign electronics during the life cycle. Technolution has a great deal of experience with cost price reduction development and Life Cycle Management.
Medical image processing system
A good example of this is the redesign of a complete medical image processing system, originally developed in 1984. Technolution has already finished a redesign for this project twice. In this development process Technolution integrated a complete rack of 8 boards on one board and all old PL/M software was converted into "C". In addition, a lot of separate circuits have been integrated in a FPGA during the last redesign.
A project like that usually results in a cost-effective, easy to produce product. It meets the original requirements, while its performance is often better than the original design.
Technologies used / unique qualities:
- Migration of the original software to modern real-time operating systems;
- Conversion of PL/M code to C and subsequently optimization of this code;
- Migration to new processor architectures, e.g. from 8051 processors to FPGA soft core solutions;
- Migration of existing custom-made ASIC designs to FPGA;
- Applying several FPGAs to integrate circuits;
- Maintenance and improvement of video manipulation algorithms;
- Extensive DFM & DFT analyses to improve production yield;
- Backwards compatibility with previous versions (functional and software).
- Jan van der Wel